Yeah, I thought the title might get your attention, but I'm not talking about my fantasy's I'm talking about fantasy novels.
I love reading, I do it every day. I've read all sorts of books over the years. When I was a kid I used to borrow from the Library a book called King Midas & the Golden Touch.
I borrowed it and borrowed it over and over again. I don't know why it just really appealed to me. Maybe it taught me more than I thought at the time.
Other books I liked to read over and over when I was very young was the Ladybird books, the fairytales, the start of my love of fantasy. Snow White and The Seven Dwarves, Snow White and Rose Red, The Goat and the Seven Little Kids, Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, The Elves and the Shoemaker, Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty, the list goes on.
I did have a particularly favourite book I read, it was a very big book of Nursery Rhymes, believe me I know most of them by heart, I read that book so many times.
As my reading skills progress I gradually started to accumulate books of my own, I moved on to AA Milne and his Winnie The Pooh stories and then on to Enid Blyton, doesn't every little girl. My favourite Enid Blyton stories were her series on The Naughtiest Girl in the school (sounds like a bit of me that never came out) and The Secret Seven.
Other books I liked to read over and over when I was very young was the Ladybird books, the fairytales, the start of my love of fantasy. Snow White and The Seven Dwarves, Snow White and Rose Red, The Goat and the Seven Little Kids, Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, The Elves and the Shoemaker, Beauty and the Beast and Sleeping Beauty, the list goes on.
I did have a particularly favourite book I read, it was a very big book of Nursery Rhymes, believe me I know most of them by heart, I read that book so many times.
As my reading skills progress I gradually started to accumulate books of my own, I moved on to AA Milne and his Winnie The Pooh stories and then on to Enid Blyton, doesn't every little girl. My favourite Enid Blyton stories were her series on The Naughtiest Girl in the school (sounds like a bit of me that never came out) and The Secret Seven.
I think during my teens my reading experiences were taken up with what my English teacher wanted me to read, so I didn't really get to choose my books, they had to be by authors he thought reputable, like Gerald Durrell or George Orwell.
In my late teens and early 20's I often picked up books just because they were set in Liverpool or Ireland, I have an affinity to those 2 places, London or Cornwall; if the era was set around one of the world wars I would be pulled towards it. I suppose that the history buff in me coming out.
I love historical novels, I've read a lot of Jean Plaidy's books on the Tudors and the Plantagenets, royal history is a big interest for me, especially since discovering my husband is a descendant of Edward I Plantagenet, I learn so much from these novels; I need to learn; I have a need for knowledge.
I have read many books by Noel Barber, reading one of his books , Tanamera is what brought my attention to Singapore, one place I must visit.
In my late teens and early 20's I often picked up books just because they were set in Liverpool or Ireland, I have an affinity to those 2 places, London or Cornwall; if the era was set around one of the world wars I would be pulled towards it. I suppose that the history buff in me coming out.
I love historical novels, I've read a lot of Jean Plaidy's books on the Tudors and the Plantagenets, royal history is a big interest for me, especially since discovering my husband is a descendant of Edward I Plantagenet, I learn so much from these novels; I need to learn; I have a need for knowledge.
I have read many books by Noel Barber, reading one of his books , Tanamera is what brought my attention to Singapore, one place I must visit.
However, the books I have had the most enjoyment from have been fantasy novels. The first (adult) fantasy novel I read was Lord of the Rings and what an introduction to the fantasy world that was. Since then I have read virtually all of Tokiens works, The Silmarilian was the hardest to read, its like reading the bible. And I also found The Children of Hurin difficult.
I seem to lose myself in the fantasy world of elves & goblins, orcs & dwarves.
Since my introduction to Tolkien I have read several other fantasy novels, mostly by the authors Robert Jordan, James Barclay, David Eddings & Christopher Paolini. James Barclay's series about The Chronicals of the Raven, was fantastic and also the follow up series of The Legends of the Raven. After finishing the Legends series I couldn't read another book for quite a while, the final story really moved me in a way no other books have. I am sure its due to the build-up of reading the entire 2 series, becoming involved with the characters and it probably won't affect many people in the same way, but it did something for me.
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan I am reading for the 2nd time - 13 books so far, I am awaiting the release of the final book (hence my re-reading the entire series), I love this story and it definitely is inspired by Tolkien & The Fellowship of the rings.
Reading is a release for me, I get so engrossed in a story I find it very difficult to put a book down, which is a bit of a problem sometimes as I feel guilty if I sit and read all day.
I am a pretty fast reader and if I didn't control myself I would probably get through one or even two books a week, however I have learnt to control myself and I do get up and go to work & I do get up, occasionally, and do the housework (not ironing though - not sure I really know what that is).
I have learn self control over the years but I do love living in a fantasy world.
I have learn self control over the years but I do love living in a fantasy world.
You take after me in that respect. I remember one day when I was about 9, mum picking me up and carrying me to the back door...book still in my hands, and dumping me outside, saying I had to get some fresh air!!! I had been reading for so long!
ReplyDeleteI get through at least a book per week...am reading the history of London at the moment. Fascinating! I simply fail to understand people who say "I've never read a book in my life"...look at what they are missing!
They are missing out on escapism, knowledge, intrigue, mystery, reading offers so much. I couldn't be without my books.
ReplyDelete