So I have been watching Wimbledon this past week and I suppose its inevitable that it will inspire at least one tennis related blog from me.
I love watching the tennis, routing for the British players. I have hardly ever witnessed a British success, at least not at Wimbledon and yet year after year I keep watching and hoping. Throughout the years I have cheered on the likes of John Lloyd, Tim Henman, even Greg Rusedski (even though he was born in Canada) and now its Andy Murray's turn to try and become Wimbledon Champion.
Is this going to be his year?
The last time a British tennis player won a singles final at Wimbledon was in 1977, Virginia Wade in Silver Jubilee year. Could omens suggest an Andy Murray win in 2012, Diamond Jubilee year?
Well, we'll have to wait and see but Rafa Nadal, the no.2 seed was knocked out in the early rounds, making a slightly easier route to the final for Murray. He's playing well and breezed into the quarter-finals with a 7-5 6-2
6-3 victory over Marin Cilin in their rain-hit encounter over two days. Next up is David Ferrer.
The only rule that bugs me in tennis is the "let" rule. I really don't see the need for it. If, during the serve, the ball hits the net and doesn't land in the serve box, then its a fault, but if it does lands in the serve box why can't the game just continue.
*********ROUTING FOR YOU ANDY MURRAY - COME ON DO IT FOR US BRITS!!*********
Update:
04/07/12 Andy Murray produced a superb fightback to beat David Ferrer in the quarter final to reach his fourth successive Wimbledon semi-final. 6-7 (5-7) 7-6 (8-6) 6-4 7-6 (7-4) in three hours and 52 minutes.
Next up is Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on Friday.
He overwhelmed Tsonga 6-3 6-4 3-6 7-5 in 2 hours 47 minutes on Centre Court. He now faces the 16-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer in Sunday's final.
08/07/12
Unfortunately Andy Murray lost the final 3 sets to 1. But have to say there is no shame losing to Roger Federrer.
Very proud of Murray.
Update:
04/07/12 Andy Murray produced a superb fightback to beat David Ferrer in the quarter final to reach his fourth successive Wimbledon semi-final. 6-7 (5-7) 7-6 (8-6) 6-4 7-6 (7-4) in three hours and 52 minutes.
Next up is Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on Friday.
06/07/12 Andy Murray became the first British man (since Bunny Austin in 1938) in 74 years to reach the
Wimbledon singles final with an amazing four-set victory over
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
He overwhelmed Tsonga 6-3 6-4 3-6 7-5 in 2 hours 47 minutes on Centre Court. He now faces the 16-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer in Sunday's final.
08/07/12
Unfortunately Andy Murray lost the final 3 sets to 1. But have to say there is no shame losing to Roger Federrer.
Very proud of Murray.
Yes...I am hoping that Andy Murray wins, because it would be great for the country, and I would always support our side. However I think he is the rudest, most ill-mannered, humourless, uncharismatic and miserable man! Not a smile...even when he has won, and so rude to the reporters...who after all are only promoting him!
ReplyDeleteI know he has to focus focus focus...but he is so self-centered and self-important.
And let's not forget...in his own words...he is NOT English, he is Scots, and would never support England.
Do I actually care if he wins? After all, I like Federer...he smiles and acknowledges his fans. It will be interesting to see Murray's reactions, whether he wins or loses.
His reaction after losing the final is the real Andy Murray
ReplyDeleteOkay...he redeemed himself today. I expect he's had a lot on his mind during the last few days, so I forgive him!!! Well done Murray...keep it up!
ReplyDelete