Only us Brits would brave the rain, stand around for at least an hour before the event, getting soaked through and still have a smile on our faces, having a laugh with the people next to us, who we've never met before. And why this time?
We've had the rain soaked Diamond Jubilee, we've had a rain soaked Wimbledon and today I've seen a rain soaked Olympic Touch Relay. Today the torch relay route was Cambridge to Luton starting at 6.33am, passing through St Ives, Huntingdon, Bedford & Grotten End before arriving in Letchworth Garden City at about 11.40. It was great being able to follow the Relay live coverage on my phone, it helped to build the excitement knowing when it was just around the corner. By 12o'clock the traffic was stopped from entering Pixmore Avenue and so we knew the torch was about to pass.
I wasn't expecting the procession that came before the flame, I thought that made a nice touch and certainly had the crowd cheering.
Once the torch had completed the route through Letchworth it was off to Stevenage where more of my family and friends were waiting patiently to see the procession.
The next ports of call, to finish the days mammoth relay, were Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, St. Albans, Hemel Hempstead & finally finishing in Luton.
The next ports of call, to finish the days mammoth relay, were Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield, St. Albans, Hemel Hempstead & finally finishing in Luton.
It may have been wet in Letchworth but it was so worth it. I love the banter between strangers, I love the euphoria, the cheering & I absolutely love the passion & pride we have in our countrymen and women.
It's now just 19 days until the Opening Ceremony and I for one can not wait.

Now you know why I actually don't mind queuing for a Bruce concert. Not quite the same I know...but meeting people that you chatted with the last time & the time before, and everyone with the same interest at heart, and tales to tell. Believe me...after 2 days & nights in the rain...you are best buddies!! And then you meet them again...somewhere else miles away. It's fun!
ReplyDeleteI love it, all there for the same reason & with the same passion.
ReplyDelete