Friday, 6 July 2012

School Reunion

Well tonight is my long awaited school reunion, hopefully it will be a lot of laughs.

I went to Heathcote Secondary School in Stevenage between 1976 and 1981, I have been back there since leaving for other reunions but this year will be different. This year the school is being closed down.


It doesn't make sense to me why the school is closing, especially since the building itself will be taken over and used by the next closest senior school, Barnwell (who incidentally have also taken over and are using the building of another recently closed down school, Collenswood).

I have a lot of fond memories from my years at this school, mostly to do with sport, but that's me. Running the 100 meters in 13 seconds; Taking part in a netball marathon over a weekend; Trip to Pierce House for a hockey weekend; Being made Netball captain;  Winning the 100 & 200 meters at sports day; Making the athletics squad; Making the badmington team; Making the rounders team and my favourite the hockey team for 5 years.


I loved the 'end of year' assemblies as I used to go up, along with team mates, to collect badges & cups mostly for sporting achievements throughout the year, I loved sports & I still do.
I was also very proud of being voted house captain in my 4th year (today's year 10).

I pretty much got on with everyone when I was at school, that's not to say some didn't rub me up the wrong way, its just they were very few, in fact I can count them on one hand.  I wasn't particularly naughty at school, more cheeky & chatty, I didn't really cause any trouble but hmmm ... I do remember punching one boy on the school field for kicking me to move, and I also remember threatening another boy on our first day - he deserved it and never came near me again, I think he was later expelled.

I loved being at school and on my last day, June 18th 1981 (Paul McCartney's birthday - just thought I'd point that out) I was sad to go, mostly because I knew I'd probably not play hockey again.

I made lots of friends at school and hopefully I'll be seeing some of them tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment