Saturday, 7 July 2012

What Does Hillsborough Mean To Me



It's very hard to put into words what Hillsborough means to me because Hillsborough, to me, is not a place, is not a football ground, it is an event, a disaster.

It was April 15th 1989 and it was an FA Cup semi final between Liverpool & Nottingham Forest.

I was not at the match, I do not live near Liverpool, I don't know anyone, personally, who died or even anyone who knew someone who died. So some will think how can it have affected me all these years.

But … Liverpool the City, Liverpool the Club and Liverpool the Family are all in my heart. It breaks my heart to think of the anguish and heartache my Liverpool family were going through on 15th April 1989 and have been going through ever since.

It makes me immensely proud when I see how Liverpool the city and Liverpool the Club pulled together to help the bereaved and the traumatised.

Not many a day goes by when the Hillborough tragedy does not come to my mind. I fill up with emotions every time I read or see anything reported about that day. It is such a terrible tragedy that must never happen again. I tried desperately hard to buy tickets to the match but had no luck, or maybe now you could say I had a lot of luck. I know if I had managed to get tickets I could very well have been in amongst the crush or witnessed it first hand, I thank the lord my family did not have to go through the worry, the anguish, the heartache, the not knowing on that day, that so many others did.

The lies that were written after this catastrophe were disgraceful, I find it hard to believe that some human beings are capable of putting money before compassion.


 
NINETYSIX Liverpool fans died that day, they just went to watch a football match.

There must be some justice for the 96 – it has gone on far too long without anyone truly being held responsible for the mess that unfolded. We all know justice won't bring back the 96 souls but it will hopefully bring closure for many people and help them get on with their lives.



My wish is for my Liverpool family to feel peace in their hearts because for the last 23 years we have all been, and still are, very angry.  

After 23 years a petition was signed by over 100,000 people which led to a debate in The Commons regarding the release of all Hillsborough documents.


MP for Liverpool Walton, Steve Rotheram made a dramatic speech for the families of the Hillsborough victims to open the debate.


And the outcome was favourable. The families fighting for justice would finally get to see all of the official documents that have been kept hidden since 1989.

No comments:

Post a Comment