Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Racism

So I have finally decided to tackle a blog on racism.  Before I start let me just say I am not a racist, I don't agree with any kind of bullying whether its because of skin colour, hair colour, intelligence, disabilities, sexuality or anything. (please don't be offended by any words or phrases I use)

So what is racism? The dictionary says:
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races  determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race  is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race  or other races

When I was growing up and in junior school there were not many "black", or "Asian" people in fact, in my class, there was one "black" girl, I sat next to her and she was my friend. Her skin colour was never an issue and neither was mine to her. When I started senior school I think there were 3 or 4 "black" boys in my year and I can't recall there being any "Asian" or any other nationalities for that matter. Again skin colour was never an issue with me, I made friends with pretty much everyone.

As the years have passed things have become more difficult. Once the acceptable term to use to describe someone with dark skin was "coloured", not any more and to be fair I can understand why, as lets face it, everyone has coloured skin of one shade or another. Today's acceptable term is "black".  There are more Asians, more Polish, more Indians, more Pakistanis and several other nationalities living in multi cultural Britain today and therefore even more terms to be conscious of that may be offensive.

Over the last year I have heard more than I care to, with regards to someone being a racist or using racist language, whilst totally unacceptable to use racial abuse, I do think things are now being blown out of proportion.

Let me use an example: The recent case of footballer John Terry, allegedly, using  racist language towards Anton Ferdinand.  This has been widely broadcast and most of us have seen the footage of JT mouthing the words "f**king black c**t" (sorry for the *'s but I don't like using bad language). This stems from an argument between 2 adult males on the football pitch during a heated game of football. JT was in court this week on this issue. Now what is insulting in the phrase used, The word black?  Really? is not being called a "f**king c**t" the real insult?  Like I've said these words were used in the middle of a heated confrontation, supposedly it's a misunderstanding, but for whatever reason the phrase was used it was between to grown men who can handle themselves, was there really any need for an expensive court case.

We have another example where another footballer, Luis Suarez was accused by Patrice Evra of calling him a "nigger" (a unacceptable word most definitely), however the actual word used and spoken in his native tongue was "negritto" an endearing term used in his country, Uruguay. I can understand how there may have been a misunderstanding over the translation of the word. However what I found racist throughout this affair was the FA (football association) choosing to ignore the difference in the Uruguayan culture and language to that of the British. Basically saying "you're in our country now so what's acceptable for you to say or do in your own country doesn't come into it"  (this is just my opinion).  The FA were in their own way being racist.  However yet again the incident was between 2 grown men, during a heated football match, who can give as good as they get and believe me Patrice Evra has been caught on camera actually calling a French international team-mate a nigger, so it baffles me how or why he found it offensive when he thought the word had been used towards him.
So we have racist comments that are referring to a persons skin colour, we have racist comments referring to a persons birth place. People from Pakistan find it offensive to be referred to as a Paki, why? I'm not trying to be offensive if they don't like that term that's fine but I just want to know why they find it so offensive? We, as British people shorten words all the time. A Scotsman is called a Scot or even a Jock, do they find that offensive? The Italians refer to white Britons as lymies, the Australian use Poms do we find that offensive. We even refer to ourselves as Brits and I'm sure other nationalities refer to Britons as Brits too, I can't see what's so wrong.
Are some people really that sensitive?  Or do they use the "racism" thing to get their own way. 

I know there are racist people in the world from every nation and I know some people still suffer from racial discrimination and it is appalling and must be stopped, but lets concentrate on the real issues and not petty squabbles between grown adults. I've heard many a thing said in the heat of an argument and far worse than what colour someone's skin is or where they are from.

We always hear of incidences of racism against non-whites. But racism works both ways. White people are suffering against racism too. In 2006 an article was written in The Guardian called "Racial murders: Nearly half the victims are white"  In 2011 a survey was carried out by Sociologists from Harvard and Tufts universities in America with both black and white people and it became obvious that racism against blacks has decreased over the years whereas racism against whites has increased.

Racism in Britain is not just a problem against black people, or Asian people or any other non-white "people" it is also common against whites just usually ignored or unreported. Interracial violent crime is overwhelmingly black on white ...

“Our true nationality is mankind.”
― H.G. Wells




2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I think that people are sooner insulted or offended by the connotation of a word or phrase as opposed to the intention of a word or phrase. I'm sure that a lot of people are genuinely insulted or feel belittled by racist remarks even when completely out of context and I'm sure a lot of people feel belittled by the fact that others are so easily offended when they've been on the receiving end of discrimination, actual physical or psychological abuse because of racism or prejudices. Not only can it be irritating, belittling and/or unnecessary for people to offended by minor incidents or an exchange of words, but it also trivalises and distracts from actual racism and genuinely dangerous racist actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which is the greater offense, taking a racist attitude towards a person, or maliciously mis-using the legislation and mechanism that is in place to protect people from abuse, in order to unjustly attack A another?
    The unfortunate fact is that the "protective" mechanism is itself open to abuse.
    We appear to have a growoing army of Mary Whitehouse's (no punn intended)who see fit to challenge on behalf of everyone percieved to belong to a "victimised" group.
    As was said to John Lennon in the famous peace sit/bed in when he proclaimed that he was voicing on behalf of everyone, "no sir, you do not speak for me" !

    ReplyDelete