I have been looking forward to writing
this blog, because when you are a child you develop hero's and although
'King' Kenny Dalglish was my hero from when I was 12 he was not my first.
The person who inspired me prior to Kenny was the late great Emlyn Hughes.
I have such fond memories of Emlyn. His pictures adorned my bedroom walls for years, I used
to write notes to him in my scrapbook, especially after Liverpool lost
the FA Cup final to Manchester United in 1977. I wote “never mind Emlyn
you'll win the European Cup next week” and that's just what he and the
rest of the 1977 legends did.
I used to write to many footballers
asking for sign photographs, some replied, some didn't – Emlyn did. (He
was at Wolves at the time)
Emlyn played for Liverpool between 1967
& 1979 making 665 appearances and helping Liverpool become the top
team in Europe. He became captain of his club and also of the
national side making 62 appearances for England.
He had such a cheeky smile it was very hard not to like and admire this man.
Emlyn was a major force and inspiration
behind the all-conquering Liverpool team in the 1970's and helped them
to win trophy after trophy.
All Emlyns trophies were won during his
time at Liverpool except the League Cup, which he won when he captained
Wolves to the final in 1980.
EMLYN HUGHES' HONOURS
2 European Cups
2 Uefa Cups
4 League Championships
1 FA Cup
1 League Cup
1 European Super Cup
INTERNATIONAL HONOURS
62 England Caps
Captained England 23 times
1st cap v Holland 1969
Unfortunately he was not too successful
in management and after leaving Rotherham he started up on another very
successful career.
From 1984 to 1987 he became captain on “A
Question of Sport” opposite Bill Beaumont and here is where he became a
household name to any non-footballing fans. Emlyn never did things by
half and so he pushed himself into his new chosen occupation with gusto,
he managed to gain the admiration of the thousands, maybe even millions
or people who watched the show.
He made every episode hilarious with his
wide grin and infectious laugh. He was cheeky enough to put protocol
aside when he had Princess Anne on his team, by putting his arm around
her shoulder.
In
August 2003 Emlyn was diagnosed with brain cancer, I couldn't believe
it, this was my hero and he had to pull through. He battled bravely for
15 months before the terrible disease took him.
He is an absolute legend and was my childhood hero.
RIP Emlyn – miss you.
Other Liverpool related blogs :
Seconded on all counts. Effervescent Emlyn, the guy with a smile as big as his personality.
ReplyDeleteLovely man, lousy end. No justice in this life me-thinks
Still find it sad when I think about him not being around any more, but the more he's in our hearts and minds the longer his memory will survive.
ReplyDelete