Wednesday, 25 July 2012

My goal for the day

For no particular reason I decided to learn how to pronounce THAT long place name in Wales.


After listening to the pronunciation several times, and I really mean tons of time, I think I have finally got it.

I tried to read Wikipedia's translation 
[ˌɬanvairˌpuɬɡwɨ̞ŋˌɡɨ̞ɬɡoˌɡɛrəˌχwərnˌdrobuɬˌɬantɨ̞ˌsiljoˌɡoɡoˈɡoːχ] 
but found that a bit difficult, so along with my son, Aron we played the audio piece from Wikipedia over and over and over and over and ... you get the picture ... and wrote it out exactly how it sounds.

This is what we came up with:
San vie pus squin gis go gira hurun dropoff santa silio go go goh

The name means: [St.] Mary's Church (Llanfair) [in] the hollow (pwll) of the white hazel (gwyngyll) near (goger) the rapid whirlpool (y chwyrndrobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (llantysilio) with a red cave ([a]g ogo goch).  The Welsh don't like to do things by halves do they?



Well at the moment I don't know this pronunciation by heart, but I will do.

2 comments: